Please support our year-end fundraiser!
Thanks to your generosity, we met and slightly exceeded our 2019 year-end fundraising goal. We look forward to putting those contributions to work helping to honor and remember this amazing unit.
The soldiers of The Ghost Army used inflatable tanks, sound effects, and imagination to fool the Germans on the battlefields of Europe. Fewer than 20 of the daring soldiers who carried out this bold lifesaving mission are left. The Ghost Army Legacy Project is hard at work to make sure these men and what they accomplished are not forgotten.
Give via credit card by clicking the yellow “Donate” button.
Or, send a check to:
Ghost Army Legacy Project
1305 S. Michigan Ave. #1104
Chicago, IL 60605
All donations are tax deductible!
2019 GALP Accomplishments
• Effected the donation of the Ghost Army Legacy Project archive to the National World War II Museum in New Orleans. Prepared the archive for transfer to its permanent home.
• Collaborated with National World War II Museum on a major Ghost Army exhibit to open in March 2020. The exhibit will eventually travel the country.
• Set plans in motion for a Ghost Army historical marker commemorating Operation BREST, to be erected in France in 2020.
• Worked with Capitol Hill allies to reintroduce Ghost Army Congressional Gold Medal legislation, and conducted a week long Washington lobbying trip that led to unprecedented support. To date, 70 representatives and 16 Senators have become co-sponsors.
• Added three signfigiant collections from Ghost Army veterans to the archive. The Bob Tompkins secret diary is a 56 page contemporary diary of the experience of the Ghost Army. The Teddy Katz collection (donated by his son Richard) contains nearly 400 letters, 132 photos, and 81 pieces of art. The Bill Anderson collection of 11 notebooks of material documents his research on the 23rd Headquarters Special Troops.
• Garnered Ghost Army media stories on NBC News, NPR Morning Edition, CSPAN, and multiple local media outlets
• Published curated a selection of 52 wartime letters from Sergeant Harold J. Dahl on the GALP website, our latest effort to present more primary source material about the unit.
• Launched Ghost Army biography project: developing bios from snippets of information for each veteran that will eventually be posted to the web site.
• Assisted multiple National History Day projects including two that made it to the National finals in Washington DC.
The Ghost Army Legacy Project is a 501(C)3 nonprofit corporation registered in Massachusetts. You will receive an acknowledgement of your donation. We have receieved tax-exempt status from ths IRS, so all donations are tax-deductible.